The Alberta RCMP offers the following tips for vehicle safety:
- If you can’t park in a garage or driveway, ensure that you’re parking in a visible well lit area.
- Visible anti-theft devices like steering wheel locks can help mitigate vehicle thefts and break-ins.
- If possible, look into automatic car starters as an option to warm your vehicle.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended if the keys are in it.
- Always lock your vehicles doors even if you’re parked in a drive way or garage.
- Never leave valuable items like wallets, keys, purses, or even change visible in an unoccupied vehicle.
- Most modern engines do not require a ‘warm-up’ period. If your vehicle does need to warm-up, do not leave it unattended.